Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » News » US lawmaker wants Tunisia aid held over Benghazi probe

US lawmaker wants Tunisia aid held over Benghazi probe

mwnbymwn
Dec, 11, 2012
0 0
A A

WASHINGTON, Dec 11, 2012 (AFP)

A top rights advocate in Congress demanded Secretary of State Hillary Clinton cut off aid to Tunisia on Tuesday because
it refuses to allow US officials to interrogate a suspect in the Benghazi attack.

Republican congressman Frank Wolf accused Tunis of barring FBI officials from interviewing Ali Harzi, who he said was detained trying to enter Turkey after the deadly September 11 attack on the US mission in Benghazi, Libya and eventually deported back to his home country.

A Federal Bureau of Investigation interrogation team “waited on the ground in Tunisia for five weeks” before departing earlier this month after “continued obstruction,” according to Wolf. “These unnecessary and unfounded delays are inexcusable and demonstrate that Tunisia is no friend or ally of the United States,” he wrote in a letter to Clinton.

“How is it possible that Tunisia is receiving more than $300 million in taxpayer dollars while simultaneously obstructing FBI efforts to investigate the death of four Americans?”  US ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans died in the assault on the US mission in Benghazi, and Republicans have seized on President Barack Obama’s administration’s shifting narrative of what happened.

US officials originally said the assault stemmed from a “spontaneous” reaction to an anti-Muslim video made on US soil. The administration subsequently revised its position to say the attack was carried out by militants linked to Al-Qaeda. State Department and FBI probes are currently under way.

Wolf said cutting off funds would send a “strong signal” to Tunisia that they will not benefit from US aid until they grant the FBI access to Harzi. Last month Tunisia’s justice ministry identified the similarly named Ali Hamzi as a Benghazi attack suspect detained in Turkey and deported back to Tunisia, and said he had been charged with belonging to “a terrorist group based abroad.”

Should Clinton fail to halt the aid, Wolf said he would initiate legislative procedures to block the funding. Clinton had planned to visit Morocco, Tunisia and the United Arab Emirates early this week but canceled the trip due to illness, her office said.

Tags: Benghazi attack on US MissionHillary ClintonNews about LibyaUS newsWorld News
TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

Morocco Ranks 76th Globally in 2026 Legatum Prosperity Index

Morocco Ranks 76th Globally in 2026 Legatum Prosperity Index

August 23, 2026
Spain Identifies 2,500 Migrant Minors in Ceuta

Spain Identifies 2,500 Migrant Minors in Ceuta

August 23, 2026
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has opened a bidding process for the broadcast rights to the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations, known as “Pamoja 2027.”

CAF Opens Bidding for AFCON 2027 Broadcast Rights

August 22, 2026
Bayern Munich won the German Super Cup after beating Borussia Dortmund 2-1 today at Signal Iduna Park. The victory gave Bayern their 12th German Super Cup title. It also gave Moroccan international Ismael Saibari his first trophy with Bayern Munich.

Ismael Saibari Begins Bayern Munich Journey with German Super Cup Triumph

August 22, 2026
Amina Dehhaoui Wins Morocco’s First Medal at Taranto 2026

2026 Mediterranean Games: Amina Dehhaoui Wins Morocco’s First Medal

August 22, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?