Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » Africa » Egypt » Egypt air strikes in Sinai kill 8 militants: security

Egypt air strikes in Sinai kill 8 militants: security

afpbyafp
Sep, 03, 2013
0 0
A A
Egypt air strikes in Sinai kill 8 militants: security

Egypt air strikes in Sinai kill 8 militants: security

CAIRO, Qahirah –

Egypt military helicopters killed eight militants and wounded 15 others in intensive air strikes on Tuesday in the Sinai Peninsula, where the army has been battling a semi-insurgency, security sources said.

The strikes near the Rafah crossing into the Gaza Strip were ongoing, the sources said, adding that the target was militants using the area bordering the Palestinian territory as a hideout.

“Eight militants were killed and 15 were wounded when air strikes hit four Islamist positions south of Rafah,” one source told AFP.

The restive region has seen an increase in clashes between militants and security forces since Islamist president Mohamed Morsi was ousted by the military on July 3.

A security source told AFP the air operation was the “biggest aerial assault of its kind in Sinai”.

Witnesses said “Apache helicopters” bombed several villages south of Rafah border crossing when the operation began at around 9:00 am (0700 GMT).

They said the helicopters hit several houses where militants had been hiding, and that the attacks had left four people wounded and six houses destroyed.

Witnesses also said that at least four helicopters were being used and they had dropped around 15 bombs, while a security source said the strikes also targeted weapons depots.

Militants have launched near-daily attacks on police and army facilities in Sinai, a region mostly populated by Bedouins who are often in conflict with the central authorities in Cairo.

On August 19, militants killed 25 Egyptian police in an attack on two buses heading towards the town of Rafah.

Egyptian security sources told AFP that two members of an armed Al-Qaeda linked group, The Mujahideen Shura Council, had been arrested in Sinai on Tuesday.

The two were suspected of involvement in the August 19 attack.

Tags: Egypt NewsEgypt politicsNews about Egyptreinforcements to Egypt SinaiisecuritySinaiiunrest in Egypt
TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany has confirmed that Moroccan international Ismael Saibari will feature against Borussia Dortmund in Saturday’s German Super Cup.

Kompany Confirms Ismael Saibari Will Play Against Borussia Dortmund

August 21, 2026
The second phase of the Marhaba 2026 operation approaches its busiest stretch before the end of August.

Tanger Med Warns Travelers of Late-August Peak in Marhaba 2026 Return Phase

August 21, 2026
FIFA has imposed heavy disciplinary sanctions on Argentina and several players involved in the confrontation that followed the 2026 FIFA World Cup final between Argentina and Spain.

FIFA Hands Paredes 10-Match Ban, Molina Seven After World Cup Final Clash

August 21, 2026
The shooting took place shortly after 4:30 p.m. on Sunday, August 16, at the Santo Stefano hospital.

Italian Officer Faces Attempted Murder Probe After Shooting Moroccan in Prato Hospital

August 21, 2026
Guinea Announces Bid to Host AFCON 2032 or 2036

Guinea Announces Bid to Host AFCON 2032 or 2036

August 21, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?