Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » Headlines » Malmo Shooting Draws Attention to “Major Crisis” in Sweden

Malmo Shooting Draws Attention to “Major Crisis” in Sweden

K. Barrett BilalibyK. Barrett Bilali
Sep, 27, 2016
0 0
A A
Malmo Shooting Draws Attention to “Major Crisis” in Sweden

Malmo Shooting Draws Attention to “Major Crisis” in Sweden

Rabat – Three people were shot, one killed when gunmen opened fire on a car in Malmo, Sweden, police said.

The shooting happened in a residential neighborhood Sunday night adding to the growing concern about gun violence in Sweden’s third largest city. There are over 8,100 Moroccans living in Malmo.

The identities nor conditions of the other three injured victims were not readily known.

It is reported that several gunmen on scooters opened fire on the victims who were in a car. The gunmen then fled the scene.

One Malmo resident, Samiuddin Ahmadi, told broadcaster SVT that two stray bullets entered his apartment, narrowly missing his son, reported Fox News World.

Like Sweden’s other major cities, Malmo has seen a rise in gun violence in the past decade, often connected to feuds between rival gangs.

Malmo gained infamy for its “no-go zones” in which refugees and immigrants, mostly from Muslim countries, have made it nearly impossible for Swedish police and firefighters to operate. These public safety departments basically have no jurisdiction to control neighborhoods. When police arrived residents throw rocks and make their duties almost impossible.

Last month, more than 70 cars were set on fire by arsonists over several days in Malmo. The police managed to arrest only one suspect while investigating those attacks, reported Rt.com

There are now 55 identified areas in several Swedish cities where the police have significant problems in tackling crime. There were only 50 “no-go zones” in February providing evidence that the negative reaction by refugees to police and firefighters is increasing.

“We have a major crisis. Many colleagues are choosing to quit,” police officer Peter Larsson told the Norwegian broadcaster NRK. “A drastically worsened working environment means many colleagues are now looking for other work.”

Sweden by far has the most liberal laws regarding refugee relocation in the European Union. The Scandinavian country receive more refugees per capita than any other European country.

In 2015, 163,000 refugees applied for asylum in Sweden. Syrians accounted for 51,00, Afghanistan 41,000 and Iraq 20,000, the rest are also from predominantly Muslim nations. Sixteen percent of Sweden’s population – or 1.6 Million people — were born in another country.

The shooting in Malmo came two hours before reports began circulating of an explosion in Heleneholm, a kilometer away from the scene of the shooting, The Express reported.

It is not yet known if the two incidents are linked.

Tags: immigrantsMalmo ShootingMoroccans in Swedenrefugees
TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

Morocco Publishes New Law Regulating Legal Profession in Official Gazette

Morocco Publishes New Law Regulating Legal Profession in Official Gazette

August 20, 2026
FFF Rejects Diversity Accusations After Abdeslam Ouaddou’s Double BEPF Rejection

FFF Rejects Diversity Accusations After Abdeslam Ouaddou’s Double BEPF Rejection

August 20, 2026
Tanger Med Port Urges Travelers to Avoid August 25-30 Operation Marhaba Peak

Tanger Med Port Urges Travelers to Avoid August 25-30 Operation Marhaba Peak

August 20, 2026
Joao Cancelo Returns to Barcelona on Free Transfer Until 2029

Joao Cancelo Returns to Barcelona on Free Transfer Until 2029

August 20, 2026
Rabat is poised to secure increased European funding for border control and migration management in the wake of the Ceuta crisis.

EU to Boost Morocco Migration Funding After Ceuta Crisis, but Rabat Is No Gendarme

August 20, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?