Home Morocco Iran Support for Polisario-Hezbollah Collusion Unveils its ‘Toxic’ Strategy: Analyst

Iran Support for Polisario-Hezbollah Collusion Unveils its ‘Toxic’ Strategy: Analyst

Hezbollah, Polisario Military Training Must Be Met With Regional Strength

Rabat The Hezbollah-Polisario collusion is still making international headlines following Morocco’s decision to cut ties with Iran. An op-ed in the Washington-based political newspaper, The Hill, wrote that the collaboration between Polisario and Hezbollah unveils Iranian toxic” strategy.

The analysis, written by Ahmed Charai, a board member of the Atlantic Council and an international counselor at the Washington-based Center for the National Interest think tank,  recalls Trump’s decision to abandon Iran’s Nuclear deal on May 8.

The decision received backlash from several European countries, including France, Germany and UK.

According to Charai, Iran is the “home to the only constitution in the world with expansionism as a founding tenet,” and“maintains vassal states or proxy militias in four Arab countries and Gaza; terror cells in the Gulf and reservoirs of recruitment in central Asia.”

Charai added that Iran also maintains a “web of lethal alliances across the African continent.”

Being a vassal state can imply receiving both the protection of a stronger state and military assistance, and that is what Morocco has accused Hezbollah of receiving from Iran.

Morocco decided to cut ties with Iran on May 1 as its ally Hezbollah had provided military support for the separatist group Polisario. Morocco also accused Algeria of its direct involvement in supporting the collusion.

“To Moroccans, Iran is a faraway place. But for the mullahs of Tehran, Morocco is also part of the ‘Iranian periphery,’” Charai wrote.

The Moroccan Ministry of Foreign Affairs claimed that it backed its decision with a complete file and data demonstrating the collusion. Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Nasser Bourita said in several interviews this month that Morocco sent Tehran a carefully prepared file.

The file includes details and “proven and precise facts: dates of visits by senior officers of Hezbollah in Algeria, dates and venues of meetings with Polisario officials and a list of names of agents involved in these contacts,” Bourita said.

To date, Iran and Algeria are still in denial. Earlier this week, Spokesman of Iran’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs Bahram Ghasemi denied that Morocco provided any “conclusive evidence to prove their claims.”  He also questioned if Morocco’s stance was made “under pressure” from certain governments, referring to Saudi Arabia.

Algeria also denied its involvement, with its Spokesperson for the Algerian Ministry of Foreign Affairs Abdelaziz Benali Cherif underplaying his country’s role in the ongoing tension.

“Instead of producing the ‘irrefutable’ proof that he claims to hold, the Moroccan minister has chosen the track of mystification and fabrication,” said the Algerian official.

SHARE
Previous articleItalian Club Juventus to Open an Academy in Casablanca
Next articleHoba Hoba Spirit Will Give 2 Concerts in Casablanca