Rabat - Football star Cristiano Ronaldo is facing some serious rape accusations.
Rabat – Football star Cristiano Ronaldo is facing some serious rape accusations.
According to AFP, police in Las Vegas announced on Monday, October 1, that they have reopened an investigation into an allegation of rape brought by a 34-year-old American woman against the world football star.
“The case has been reopened and our detectives are following up on information being provided,” Las Vegas police said, refusing to give further details on the “ongoing investigation.”
Kathryn Mayorga has opened up for the first time to German outlet Der Spiegel about the accusations she made against the 33-year-old sensation, asserting that he raped her at a Las Vegas hotel in 2009.
Mayorga has also revealed that the former Real Madrid star made an agreement with her to sign a confidentiality contract and pay her $375,000.
The Juventus striker has already denied the rumors on social media. Ronaldo commented on the charge of rape during a live Instagram. He also decided to sue the German magazine over defamation.
“It’s a lie. She wants to become famous thanks to my name. These situations are part of my job,” said the football player.
The accusation first surfaced 1.5 years ago, but Kathryn Mayorga’s name only appeared recently.
Last year, Ronaldo called the revelation “journalistic fiction,” telling the media the sexual relationship had been consensual.
However, Kathryn Mayorga’s lawyer claims to have a document challenging Cristiano Ronaldo’s version, detailing that the victim had said “no” and “stop” several times.
Mayorga not only hopes to “get justice” by making Ronaldo take responsibility, but also to prevent him from doing it again. She also wanted “to encourage all the victims of sexual assault” to pursue their attackers, “as famous, rich or powerful as they can look. “