On Sunday, January 6, Polisario conducted a series of military actions east of Morocco’s defense wall.
Rabat – The Moroccan government has responded to Polisario’s escalating actions after the separatist group conducted military maneuvers east of Morocco’s defense wall earlier this week.
The government turned to the United Nations Security Council, which had previously firmly warned Polisario against any action that might escalate tension or change the status quo in Western Sahara.
The government sent the Security Council a dossier documenting Polisario’s actions in Mehriz, a town east of the berm.
Government Spokesperson Mustapha El Khalfi said Morocco’s reporting on Polsiario’s maneuvers is continuous and constant.
El Khalfi told reporters after the weekly cabinet meeting Thursday that when UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres issues his annual report on Western Sahara, it will show the number of reports Morocco makes about Polisario’s maneuvers in the region in order for the UN to bear its responsibility in responding to the violations.
He added that the provocative actions of Polisario put the separatist group in confrontation with the UN and not Morocco. Resolution 2440 was a blow for Polisario because it clearly warned against any actions in the buffer zone as well as in towns east of Morocco’s defense wall, a region claimed as a “liberated zone” by Polisario.
Morocco documented the “provocative” actions through its new satellite, Mohammed VI-B, which it launched in November 2018.
Morocco’s Permanent Ambassador to the UN Omar Hilale also sent messages to the UN Secretary-General and the Security Council to warn them of the “provocative” actions of the Polisario Front.
Morocco’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Nasser Bourita also called the UN Secretary-General’s Personal Envoy Horst Kohler regarding Polisario’s maneuvers.
Bourita reportedly also called US National Security Adviser John Bolton to warn him of the effect of the maneuvers on the series of roundtable talks launched in Geneva in December.
The Security Council will meet on January 29 to consult on the peacekeeping operation in Western Sahara known as MINURSO.
Polisario has been defying UN restrictions recently. On January 7, the separatist group inaugurated facilities in Mehriz after conducting military maneuvers.
The inauguration of the facilities and the military actions in Mehriz are a violation of the 1991 ceasefire agreement and UN resolutions, including Resolution 2440 adopted in October 2018.