Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » Headlines » Polisario Wants to Appeal EU-Morocco Agriculture Agreement Again

Polisario Wants to Appeal EU-Morocco Agriculture Agreement Again

Safaa KasraouibySafaa Kasraoui
Jan, 23, 2019
0 0
A A

Rabat – The Polisario Front is attempting to hamper the process of the EU-Morocco agreements.

After resorting to the UN Security Council, the Polisario Front is threatening to appeal against the European Parliament’s decision to adopt the EU-Morocco agriculture agreement.

The separatist group’s news agency reported on January 21 that the “battle for the preservation of the Sahrawi natural resources will be a decisive factor of pressure” on Morocco.

Polisario had already contested the fisheries and agriculture agreement after describing the adoption of the agriculture deal as “illegal.”

Read Also: Polisario, Algeria Frustrated over EU-Morocco Partnership Agreements

The Polisario Front also claimed that the EU Parliament has violated EU Court of Justice’s ruling, which decided in February 2018 that the fisheries deal between the EU and Morocco would only be valid if it did not include Western Sahara and its waters.

The court also ruled on December 21, 2016, that the previous agreement between EU and Morocco, signed in 2012, on the mutual liberalization of the trade of agricultural and fishing products did not apply to the territory of Western Sahara.

Morocco, however, made its position clear that it would not sign an agreement if it excluded its southern provinces from the deals.

Read Also: EU Parliament’s Fisheries Committee Adopts EU-Morocco Fisheries Deal

The Moroccan government says it will not  compromise its sovereignty over the region.

The EU adopted the agriculture agreement on January 16, deeming the European court not to have authority over trade agreements.

A logical continuation of EU-Morocco relationship

After the adoption of the agriculture deal, the European Parliament’s Committee on Fisheries also adopted the fisheries agreement between Morocco and the EU today.

The agreement received 17 votes in favor of the fisheries deal while 7 voted against.

Polisario has long claimed that Morocco is “exploiting” natural resources in the regions. Local Sahrawis, however, petitioned against Polisario’s allegations, emphasizing the benefits of the agreement on the development of the region.

Read Also: EU-Morocco: Polisario Resorts to Security Council After Diplomatic Failure

“The southern provinces are now ranked above the national average for human development indicators,” they wrote in the petition.

Morocco’s Minister of Fisheries Aziz Akhannouch said that the deals create 66,000 job opportunities in the southern provinces under the Moroccan Green Plan and the Halieutis plan.

In a statement to Maghreb Arab Press (MAP), former Ambassador of Morocco to the EU Ahmed Reda Chami said that the vote of the committee “is a logical continuation of recent positive developments in the Morocco-EU partnership.”

The former EU official made his remarks today in Brussels.

Tags: algeria and morocco and the western sahara conflictAlgeria and the Western SaharaEU-Morocco agricultural agreementEU-Morocco agricultural trade dealEU-Morocco fisheries agreementEU-Morocco fisheries dealPolisario
TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany has confirmed that Moroccan international Ismael Saibari will feature against Borussia Dortmund in Saturday’s German Super Cup.

Kompany Confirms Ismael Saibari Will Play Against Borussia Dortmund

August 21, 2026
The second phase of the Marhaba 2026 operation approaches its busiest stretch before the end of August.

Tanger Med Warns Travelers of Late-August Peak in Marhaba 2026 Return Phase

August 21, 2026
FIFA has imposed heavy disciplinary sanctions on Argentina and several players involved in the confrontation that followed the 2026 FIFA World Cup final between Argentina and Spain.

FIFA Hands Paredes 10-Match Ban, Molina Seven After World Cup Final Clash

August 21, 2026
The shooting took place shortly after 4:30 p.m. on Sunday, August 16, at the Santo Stefano hospital.

Italian Officer Faces Attempted Murder Probe After Shooting Moroccan in Prato Hospital

August 21, 2026
Guinea Announces Bid to Host AFCON 2032 or 2036

Guinea Announces Bid to Host AFCON 2032 or 2036

August 21, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?