The decision comes following the visit of Morocco’s Minister of Foreign Affairs to El Salvador on his tour to Latin America last week.
Rabat – El Salvador has officially informed the United Nations Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, of its decision to withdraw recognition of the self-proclaimed Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR) run by separatist group the Polisario Front.
On Wednesday, June 19, the government of El Salvador conveyed an official note to the UN Secretary General to inform him that the President of the Republic of El Salvador, Nayib Armando Bukele, announced the withdrawal of his recognition of the separatist group on June 15.
The Permanent Mission of El Salvador also conveyed a note from their Ministry of Foreign Affairs to announce that the El Salvador government has informed Morocco of its decision to withdraw recognition for SADR and to terminate all contact with the separatist group.
“The government of El Salvador supports Morocco’s territorial integrity and national sovereignty as well as its Autonomy Plan as the sole solution to thisregional dispute” said the government of El Salvador in a statement.
El Salvador’s note to the United Nations comes after a meeting between Morocco’s Minister of Nasser Bourita and Bukele as part of his tour to Latin America.
“It is the right decision for el Salvador. We stop recognizing a country that does not exist, we strengthen our ties with the Kingdom of Morocco and we open the doors of the Arab world,” Bukele wrote on his Twitter after his meeting with Bourita.
In response, the Moroccan official said that the North African country is ready to open a new page of South-South cooperation with El Salvador.The announcement is another disappointment to the front as it has been lobbying in the region as well as in central America to generate support for its separatist claims.