Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » Headlines » France Allows Religious Ceremonies to Resume as Eid Al Fitr Approaches

France Allows Religious Ceremonies to Resume as Eid Al Fitr Approaches

taha-mebtoulbytaha-mebtoul
May, 23, 2020
0 0
A A
France Allows Religious Ceremonies to Resume as Eid Al Fitr Approaches

France Allows Religious Ceremonies to Resume as Eid Al Fitr Approaches

Rabat – The French government declared that communal religious ceremonies will be able to resume this Saturday, May 23 in France, after being suspended since the start of the pandemic.

The announcement came as a press release on May 22.

French Minister of Interior Christophe Castaner announced an agreement with religious representatives in France on the procedures for resuming religious ceremonies, including for Christians, Jews, Muslims, and Buddhists.

This measure entered into force following a May 18 decision to lift the “general and absolute” ban on assembly in places of worship. The Council of State, which is the highest administrative jurisdiction in France, determined the move.

French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe previously proposed June 2 as a date for resuming religious gatherings in places of worship.

The Council of State had considered the ban as “a serious and illegal attack” on freedom of worship.

French authorities said that the performance of religious ceremonies will be under the responsibility of the organizers, urging them to comply with several protective measures.

Like all public establishments, the state council demands that religious organizers ensure the respect of social distancing among worshipers. They should also reduce, to the maximum appropriate extent, the number of attending practitioners.

The council also stressed the importance of wearing face masks at all times during communal religious rituals.

Foreign Minister Castaner concluded the release by saying that this “fruitful” decision follows a rich dialogue with religious groups in France since the start of the health crisis. “We trust in the exemplary prudence and vigilance of those responsible for worship.”

Despite the government’s decision, the French Council for Muslim Faith (CFCM) urged the country’s Muslim community to remain home, indicating that mosques will remain closed during Eid Al-Fitr in France, May 24.

“The fundamental principle of preservation of life, the CFCM calls on the Muslims of France not to celebrate the prayer of Eid El Fitr in mosques … Everyone can perform it at home and with their family,” said CFCM today in a press release with the slogan: “Save lives, stay home.”

The council also called on mosque managers to wait for their recommendations for a gradual resumption of activities in strict compliance with health security conditions.

“This will give us time to see the impact of the containment lifting on May 11, on the epidemiological situation of our country which remains precarious despite the improvement linked to confinement,” CFCM concluded.

Eid Al-Fitr is traditionally celebrated with large collective prayers in the early morning.

Tags: (CFCM)Covid-19 in Franceeid al fitr 2020eid al fitr in franceFrench Council of the Muslim Faith (CFCM)Muslims in Francereligious ceremonies
TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

Foot Mercato: Couhaib Driouech Set to Join Celta Vigo

Foot Mercato: Couhaib Driouech Set to Join Celta Vigo

August 23, 2026
Nordic Nations Demand Sweeping FIFA Governance Reforms, Back Resignation Calls

Nordic Nations Demand Sweeping FIFA Governance Reforms, Back Resignation Calls

August 23, 2026
Soufiane Al-Asabi Wins Morocco’s First Gold at Taranto 2026

Soufiane Al-Asabi Wins Morocco’s First Gold at Taranto 2026

August 23, 2026
Mourinho Accuses Espanyol of Bullying Vinicius Jr After Real Madrid’s Win

Mourinho Accuses Espanyol of Bullying Vinicius Jr After Real Madrid’s Win

August 23, 2026
Ayyoub Bouaddi’s Manchester City Transfer Makes Waves in British Media

Ayyoub Bouaddi’s Manchester City Transfer Makes Waves in British Media

August 23, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?