Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » Society » 14 Arrests in Spain Amid Anti-Migrants Riots, Moroccan Community Calls for Peace, Calm

14 Arrests in Spain Amid Anti-Migrants Riots, Moroccan Community Calls for Peace, Calm

Anti-migrant sentiment and Islamophobia are well-documented and increasingly entrenched in European society.

Safaa KasraouibySafaa Kasraoui
Jul, 16, 2025
0 0
A A
14 Arrests in Spain Amid Anti-Migrants Riots, Moroccan Community Calls for Peace, Calm

14 Arrests in Spain Amid Anti-Migrants Riots, Moroccan Community Calls for Peace, Calm

Rabat – Spanish authorities have arrested at least 14 people for their alleged involvement in riots, particularly anti-migrant clashes, since Friday last week.

Spain, especially Murcia, has been witnessing violent clashes and riots targeting migrants, particularly Moroccans, since the assault of a 68-year-old Spaniard in Torre Pacheco in southeastern Spain.

Reports alleged that the assault was perpetrated by three men of North African origin, potentially from Morocco. One of the suspects is a 19-year-old who is allegedly the main perpetrator.

Since Friday, authorities arrested over 14 suspects, the majority of whom are Spanish nationals, for being involved in anti-migrant riots and violent clashes targeting Moroccans.

The tension was fueled by far-right groups like Vox, which launched a manhunt and urged targeting migrants, particularly Moroccans.

Reuters quoted Abdelali, an informal spokesperson for the Moroccan community who lives in Murcia, launching a peace appeal amid the critical situation.

“We don’t want criminals,” he said, condemning the violence. “We don’t want violence or people who come from outside to make trouble here.”

Reports emphasize that people arrested in connection with the assault on the 68-year-old man were not from Torre Pacheco. Some critics have suspected the situation, suggesting far-right involvement in the case to stir tensions and violence in the region.

Many have joined growing lists of politicians and communities condemning the violence and calling for calm.

The Moroccan consulate in Murcia reiterated its solidarity with Moroccans in the region, reassuring citizens that it is in constant contact with Spanish authorities to ensure security guarantees are provided to Moroccans.

It also expressed condemnation of violent, hostile actions against members of the Moroccan community.

Anti-migrant sentiment and Islamophobia is not a new challenge in Spain and Europe in general.

A report from OHCHR said that at least 17 cases have been reported to NGOs by young women on their first day of class in 2020. The complainants mostly reported being denied entrance to their high schools because they wear a hijab. This is despite the absence of any formal legislation prohibiting the hijab.

“Political leaders who openly use Islamophobia in their public discourses usually belong to far-right Vox or right-wing PP,” the report said.

The OHCHR report emphasized that while until 2017 Islamophobic hate speech was “noticeably clear, especially after each terror attack, the years after it became interlaced with xenophobic hate speech against North African migrants and more specifically against migrant unaccompanied minors.”

Tags: Anti-Migrant ViolenceMurcia
TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

“Ceuta and Melilla will remain a subject of dialogue between us and Spain, and we will hold to our historical right and our geographical right,” said Morocco’s Justice Minister Abdellatif Ouahbi.

Ouahbi Presses the Ceuta and Melilla File Anew While a Nettled Madrid Bolts the Door

August 22, 2026
A man, accompanied by funeral workers, prays over the bodies of migrants who died while trying to cross from Morocco to Ceuta, on 21 August 2026. AP/Antonio Sempere

Ceuta Buries First 18 Migrants in Muslim Cemetery After July Border Deaths

August 22, 2026
Israel Opens Tenders for E1 West Bank Settlement, Drawing International Outrage

Israel Opens Tenders for E1 West Bank Settlement, Drawing International Outrage

August 22, 2026
morocco soft wheat import

Morocco to Resume Soft Wheat Imports on September 16

August 22, 2026
spain health delegation ceuta

Spain to Send Health Delegation to Ceuta Next Week to Assess Migration Impact

August 22, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?