Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » Sports » Real Madrid Held by Girona as Arbeloa Questions VAR Decision

Real Madrid Held by Girona as Arbeloa Questions VAR Decision

Los Blancos drop more points and fall further behind Barcelona in La Liga race

Abderrahim KabbourbyAbderrahim Kabbour
Apr, 11, 2026
0 0
A A
Real Madrid coach Álvaro Arbeloa has defended Kylian Mbappé’s freedom to travel during his recovery but reminded everyone

Real Madrid coach Álvaro Arbeloa

Rabat – Real Madrid dropped more points on Friday night. A 1-1 draw with Girona extended their winless run to three matches and left them six points behind Barcelona in the title race.

Madrid felt they should have had a penalty in the closing minutes. Kylian Mbappe went down inside the box after contact with Vitor Reis, but the referee let the play continue and VAR did not intervene.

Alvaro Arbeloa did not hide his frustration after the match. “It’s a penalty here and on the moon,” he said. “It’s just another one, another week. That’s the way it is. Neither I nor anyone else understands it. I suppose it’s used when it suits and when it doesn’t, it isn’t.”

Madrid controls, but not enough

The first half brought chances but no goals. Madrid controlled the ball and pushed forward, but Girona held their shape.

The breakthrough came early in the second half. Federico Valverde found space outside the box and struck a powerful shot in the 51st minute. Paulo Gazzaniga got a hand to it but could not keep it out.

For a moment, it looked like Madrid would push on, but Girona responded quickly.

Just 11 minutes later, Thomas Lemar equalised. The midfielder, on loan from Atletico Madrid, hit a strong shot from the edge of the area into the bottom corner. The score returned to 1-1, and the game opened again.

Just 11 minutes later, Thomas Lemar equalised. The midfielder, on loan from Atletico Madrid, hit a strong shot from the edge of the area into the bottom corner. The score returned to 1-1, and the game opened again.

𝟗 𝐏𝐎𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐒 𝐁𝐄𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐃 𝐁𝐀𝐑𝐂̧𝐀 — 𝐈𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐓𝐀𝐋𝐀𝐍𝐒 𝐁𝐄𝐀𝐓 𝐄𝐒𝐏𝐀𝐍𝐘𝐎𝐋 😬 pic.twitter.com/kzdmFiI4kE

— 433 (@433) April 10, 2026

Madrid kept pushing. They had more possession and created more chances. In total, they finished with 61 percent of the ball and 22 shots compared to Girona’s 10.

Still, they could not find a second goal.

A run that raises questions

The result adds pressure on Arbeloa. Since taking charge in January, he has won 19 games and lost six. This draw was his first since replacing Xabi Alonso.

But the recent run is different, Madrid have not won since March 22, when they beat Atletico in the derby. Since then, results have slipped. They lost 2-1 to Mallorca after the international break, a result Arbeloa took responsibility for.

“This defeat is mine, absolutely,” he said at the time. “I told the players that. I’m the one who makes the decisions.”

Then came another setback in Europe. Madrid lost 2-1 at the Bernabeu against Bayern Munich in the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final. The return leg will take place in Germany.

Despite the gap to Barcelona, Arbeloa is not ready to give up.

“I’ll feel that way the day we lose it,” he said. “If that day comes, we’ll have no choice but to go out and defend this badge. This is Real Madrid, and we have no choice but to go out and fight.”

 

Tags: Gironala ligaReal Madrid
TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

The second phase of the Marhaba 2026 operation approaches its busiest stretch before the end of August.

Tanger Med Warns Travelers of Late-August Peak in Marhaba 2026 Return Phase

August 21, 2026
FIFA has imposed heavy disciplinary sanctions on Argentina and several players involved in the confrontation that followed the 2026 FIFA World Cup final between Argentina and Spain.

FIFA Hands Paredes 10-Match Ban, Molina Seven After World Cup Final Clash

August 21, 2026
The shooting took place shortly after 4:30 p.m. on Sunday, August 16, at the Santo Stefano hospital.

Italian Officer Faces Attempted Murder Probe After Shooting Moroccan in Prato Hospital

August 21, 2026
Guinea Announces Bid to Host AFCON 2032 or 2036

Guinea Announces Bid to Host AFCON 2032 or 2036

August 21, 2026
A wave of congratulatory messages reached King Mohammed VI on Friday as Morocco marked Youth Day.

World Leaders Congratulate King Mohammed VI on Youth Day, 63rd Birthday

August 21, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?