Rabat – The Moroccan Association of Bar Associations’ Bureau has decided to continue its suspension of professional services and called on its national council to meet on September 4, as tensions over a new law regulating the legal profession continue.
The decision followed a meeting on Tuesday, after the Constitutional Court said it was unable to rule on the constitutionality of Law No. 66.23 in its current form. The court found that the referral submitted by the House of Representatives did not include the version of the law adopted by the House of Councillors in its second reading.
In a statement following Tuesday’s meeting, the Association maintained its previous decision to suspend professional services. It also said its national council, which brings together representatives of the various bar associations, will meet on September 4.
The lawyers’ protest centers on Law No. 66.23, which they say threatens the independence of the profession and guarantees of defense. Their concerns include provisions related to disciplinary procedures, access to the profession, professional training, the management of client funds, and the authority exercised during court hearings.
The Association has also objected to what it considers insufficient consultation during the legislative process. Lawyers stepped up their protests in June after amendments were introduced during parliamentary discussions, which the profession said moved away from understandings previously reached with the government.
The protest has included suspending professional services, including judicial assistance, as well as demonstrations and sit-ins. The Association previously said it would continue its actions until its concerns over the profession’s constitutional position and independence were addressed.
The Constitutional Court’s decision has therefore not ended the dispute. The Association said further protest measures are likely and that its leadership will continue meeting to decide on its next steps.








