Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » Morocco » Moroccan protestors fear tighter crackdown by police

Moroccan protestors fear tighter crackdown by police

mwnbymwn
May, 24, 2011
0 0
A A
Moroccan protestors fear tighter crackdown by police

Moroccan protestors fear tighter crackdown by police

Rabat – “Those who fear an undermining of the announced reforms should be reassured: it’s a strategic and irreversible choice,” Communications Minister Khalid Naciri told AFP.

“Morocco will not step backwards and will press right on through with the commitments that have been made at the highest level of state,” he added, referring to a speech made by King Mohammed VI on March 9.

In his broadcast address, the king of the north African country announced a series of major constitutional reforms, providing notably for the separation of powers among the executive, the judiciary and the legislative, along with increased powers for the prime minister.

At the time, the speech was widely hailed, but since then critics have begun to speak out against the use of force by police, particularly against youths of the Movement of February 20, who call for radical democratic change in Morocco.

“The risk of a new tightening of the screws of security cannot be ruled out because people hostile to change are still very present” in the corridors of power, said Lahcen Daoudi, the chairman of the parliamentary group of the Islamist opposition Justice and Development Party (PJD).

Read Also: Morocco: Benkirane’s Government Revives the February 20 Protest Movement

“The authorities need to show these young people that they have heard their message and are taking it into consideration. By repressing them, they seem to be giving the opposite impression,” Daoudi added.

At the weekend, police broke up demonstrations by several hundred members of the Movement of February 20, named for the day when thousands first took to the streets calling for change. Dozens of people were injured on Sunday in the northern port of Tangiers.

Economist Fouad Abdelmoumni, who described himself as a “sympathiser” with the movement, warned that the “disproportionate use of force against young Moroccans appears to suggest that recent reforms carried out by Moroccan officials are not credible.

“In using the repressive apparatus of state to crack down on a peaceful movement, Morocco is showing once again that it is no exception compared with other Arab regimes,” Abdelmoumni said.

To justify the use of force against young demonstrators, the authorities regularly allege involvement in protests by Islamist movements such as Justice and Charity, as well as political forces on the left.

Naciri said that Justice and Charity, which is one of the biggest movements in Morocco, is using demonstrations for greater democracy “to serve its own agenda”.

Justice and Charity is officially banned, but its activities are often tolerated by the authorities. Contacted by AFP, the movement’s spokesman Fathallah Arsalane argued that “the state should answer the political and social demands of Moroccan society rather than coming down on our movement.”

Tags: February 20moroccan protestMoroccopolice
TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

Morocco Publishes New Law Regulating Legal Profession in Official Gazette

Morocco Publishes New Law Regulating Legal Profession in Official Gazette

August 20, 2026
FFF Rejects Diversity Accusations After Abdeslam Ouaddou’s Double BEPF Rejection

FFF Rejects Diversity Accusations After Abdeslam Ouaddou’s Double BEPF Rejection

August 20, 2026
Tanger Med Port Urges Travelers to Avoid August 25-30 Operation Marhaba Peak

Tanger Med Port Urges Travelers to Avoid August 25-30 Operation Marhaba Peak

August 20, 2026
Joao Cancelo Returns to Barcelona on Free Transfer Until 2029

Joao Cancelo Returns to Barcelona on Free Transfer Until 2029

August 20, 2026
Rabat is poised to secure increased European funding for border control and migration management in the wake of the Ceuta crisis.

EU to Boost Morocco Migration Funding After Ceuta Crisis, but Rabat Is No Gendarme

August 20, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?