Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » Morocco » Morocco says protests over phosphate jobs are over

Morocco says protests over phosphate jobs are over

mwnbymwn
Jul, 14, 2011
0 0
A A
Morocco says protests over phosphate jobs are over

Morocco says protests over phosphate jobs are over

July 14, 2011 (Reuters)

RABAT- Protesters have ended their blockade of a railway line used to transport phosphates in Morocco, after promises they would be reconsidered for jobs at the state-run phosphate monopoly (OCP), official media said on Thursday.

Over the weekend, dozens of protesters started blocking a rail link between phosphate mines in the town of Youssoufia and chemical plants in the city of Safi operated by OCP, or Office Cherifien des Phosphates.

Last week, Moroccan security forces used truncheons, tear gas and water cannon on protesters demanding jobs in the central Khouribga province, home to OCP’s biggest phosphate mines.

Riots broke out in March in the same province and OCP said then that registered applicants would be given training courses within a few weeks.

The official MAP news agency said the Youssoufia protesters had agreed to lift the rail blockade after labour ministry, OCP and local representatives promised to reconsider their job applications.

“Dialogue … has allowed the sit-ins to end and the resumption of rail traffic between Youssoufia and Safi as well as the flow of trucks … unblocking the flow of phosphate transportation trucks and buses for OCP’s employees,” MAP said.

The Safi complex can produce up to 400,000 tonnes of phosphoric acid and fertilizers.

OCP said last week the number of job applicants exceeded 36,000. The company was providing 5,800 jobs immediately and would give paid training to an additional 15,000 before enrolling them. [ID:nLDE7661ME]

A source familiar with the matter said recent protests in Youssoufia did not have any commercial impact.

“The Youssoufia protesters will be reconsidered for jobs with OCP under the programme that involves 5,800 immediate jobs and 15,000 training positions,” the source said.

Independent news portal Lakome.com reported that employees of a subcontractor that deals with OCP’s subsidiary in the disputed Western Sahara staged a peaceful protest on Thursday in Laayoune mainly to demand their integration as employees of OCP.

An OCP spokesman declined to comment on the Lakome.com report which carried a picture that showed a few dozen protesters, some of whom carried a Moroccan flag.

Morocco, which annexed the desert territory in 1975, has the world’s biggest phosphate reserves and is a key supplier of fertilisers and phosphoric acid.

 


TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

Premier League Admits Delay in Manchester City Financial Case

Premier League Admits Delay in Manchester City Financial Case

August 18, 2026
A marathon meeting between Moroccan professional football clubs and the National Professional Football League (LNFP) on Monday, August 17, ended without the consensus needed to advance a proposal to expand the country’s professional leagues to 20 teams.

Morocco’s 20-Team League Proposal Faces Setback After Clubs Fail to Reach Consensus

August 18, 2026
Lockheed Martin Extends Technical Support for Morocco

Lockheed Martin Extends Technical Support for Morocco

August 18, 2026
Espérance Tunis Sign Moroccan Winger Imad Faraj on Three-Year Deal Until 2029

Espérance Tunis Sign Moroccan Winger Imad Faraj on Three-Year Deal Until 2029

August 18, 2026
Moroccan international Abdessamad Ezzalzouli, winger for Real Betis, returned to full team training on Tuesday after recovering from the injury he suffered while on international duty with Morocco.

Abdessamad Ezzalzouli Returns to Full Training, Edges Closer to Real Betis Comeback

August 18, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?