Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » Middle East » Palestinians to submit 20 sites for UNESCO listing

Palestinians to submit 20 sites for UNESCO listing

mwnbymwn
Mar, 08, 2012
0 0
A A

March 8,2012 (AFP)

The Palestinians are poised to submit the names of 20 sites in Jerusalem, the West Bank and Gaza for addition to UNESCO’s list of World Heritage sites, an official said on Thursday.

“Within the next few days, we will submit a tentative list of 20 sites to be added to the list,” Omar Awadallah, head of the U.N. department at the Palestinian foreign ministry, told AFP.

Palestine was accepted as a full member state of the U.N. Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization last year, over objections from Israel and the United States, and despite not having full United Nations membership.

But its tenure as a full UNESCO member came into force on Thursday, and diplomats now plan to move quickly to register Palestinian sites.

“From today we are a full party as a state so now we can start all the things that states can do within the rules of the convention, one of them is that we can submit our list to the World Heritage committee,” he said.

Until now, the Palestinians could not formally submit any sites in the Palestinian territories for inclusion in the list.

The tentative list that will be submitted is the first step in the process of obtaining World Heritage status for the sites, and is intended as an inventory of the locations a member wishes to register, UNESCO says.

The list includes sites ranging from Bethlehem’s Church of the Nativity, revered as the birthplace of Jesus Christ, to Hebron’s walled Old City in the southern West Bank.

It also includes the caves at Qumran where the Dead Sea Scrolls were found, as well as a series of aqueducts and Ummayad palaces, some of which are in Jerusalem.

Gaza sites on the list include the Wadi Gaza coastal wetlands and the Anthedon Harbour, according to a copy of the list seen by AFP.

The finalized list will be presented when the World Heritage Committee holds its annual meeting in June to discuss which sites to accept, Awadallah said.

The Old City of Jerusalem and its walls is already part of the list after it was nominated in 1982 by Jordan.

It is currently listed as an endangered site due to problems of uncontrolled urban development and the deterioration of its monuments due to tourism, the UNESCO website says.

Israel and the United States fiercely opposed Palestinian admission to UNESCO, with both cutting funding to the organization in the wake of the decision.

There have been ongoing tensions between Israel, the Palestinians and UNESCO over several sites of cultural and religious significance in the West Bank.

In 2010, Israel reduced its cooperation with UNESCO after the organization described Rachel’s Tomb near Bethlehem, as a mosque.

The tomb, built over what is believed to be the burial place of the biblical matriarch, is the third holiest site in Judaism, but also considered a holy place for Muslims.

In 2011, Israel announced plans to include Rachel’s Tomb and the Tomb of the Patriarchs in Hebron ? another shared Jewish and Muslim holy site — in a national heritage restoration plan.

That decision was slammed by the Palestinians and criticized by UNESCO as “escalating tension” in the area.

Tags: Arab NewsPalestine NewsPalestinians to submit 20 sites for UNESCO listingWorld Heritage sites
TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

Morocco Publishes New Law Regulating Legal Profession in Official Gazette

Morocco Publishes New Law Regulating Legal Profession in Official Gazette

August 20, 2026
FFF Rejects Diversity Accusations After Abdeslam Ouaddou’s Double BEPF Rejection

FFF Rejects Diversity Accusations After Abdeslam Ouaddou’s Double BEPF Rejection

August 20, 2026
Tanger Med Port Urges Travelers to Avoid August 25-30 Operation Marhaba Peak

Tanger Med Port Urges Travelers to Avoid August 25-30 Operation Marhaba Peak

August 20, 2026
Joao Cancelo Returns to Barcelona on Free Transfer Until 2029

Joao Cancelo Returns to Barcelona on Free Transfer Until 2029

August 20, 2026
Rabat is poised to secure increased European funding for border control and migration management in the wake of the Ceuta crisis.

EU to Boost Morocco Migration Funding After Ceuta Crisis, but Rabat Is No Gendarme

August 20, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?