Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » News » Sporadic clashes outside Egypt presidential palace

Sporadic clashes outside Egypt presidential palace

mwnbymwn
Feb, 03, 2013
0 0
A A
Sporadic clashes outside Egypt presidential palace

Sporadic clashes outside Egypt presidential palace

CAIRO, Feb 3, 2013 (AFP)

Sporadic clashes broke out overnight between protesters demanding the ouster of Egypt’s Islamist President Mohamed Mursi and security forces outside the presidential palace, witnesses said on Sunday.

There were no immediate reports of casualties from the confrontations which follow violent clashes on Friday outside the presidential palace that left one person dead.

Late on Saturday several hundred mostly young protesters again gathered outside the compound and threw stones and petrol bombs at its walls, an AFP correspondent said.

One protester said they were there to pay homage to the young man killed on Friday, and they chanted “Leave!” and “The people want the regime to fall!” — slogans used two years earlier to oust veteran president Hosni Mubarak.

In Friday’s clashes, a 23-year-old was shot dead and 91 people were injured, a medic said, and the interior ministry said 15 of its men were wounded by birdshot.

Security forces deployed outside the palace grounds fired tear gas late on Saturday when a group of protesters tried to storm one of the gates, the witnesses said, but republican guards inside the compound did not intervene.

“We no longer respond to provocation from certain protesters outside the palace,” the commander of the guards, General Mohammed Ahmad Zaki, was quoted as saying by the state-run MENA news agency.

The main opposition National Salvation Front (NSF), meanwhile, called for the resignation of Interior Minister Mohammed Ibrahim after a video showing a naked man being beaten by police went viral on the Internet.

The beating was “an inhumane spectacle… no less ugly than the killings of martyrs, which is considered a continuation of the security force’s programme of excessive force,” the opposition bloc said.

Ibrahim has ordered a probe to “hold accountable” those responsible and will resign if “that’s what the people want,” his office said.

The presidency also scrambled to contain fallout from the footage.

A statement said the presidency was “pained by the shocking footage of some policemen treating a protester in a manner that does not accord with human dignity and human rights” but described the incident as an “isolated act.”

Prosecutors say Hamed Saber, a 50-year-old construction painter, was found carrying petrol bombs.

Saber said on television that he had been set upon and stripped by protesters and that the police had saved him, but his daughter Randa disputed the account and said on television: “He’s lying; he’s scared.”

A nephew of Saber added: “He is lying because there is a lot of pressure on him.”

 

Tags: clashesEgyptEgypt NewsMorsiNews about Egyptpoliticspresidential palaceprotestThe opposition National Salvation Front (NSF)
TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

Ajax Face Competition from England, Saudi Arabia for Ounahi

Ajax Face Competition from England, Saudi Arabia for Ounahi

August 19, 2026
Morocco’s DGSSI issued a security bulletin on Tuesday warning of critical vulnerabilities affecting several Apple products.

Morocco’s DGSSI Warns of Critical Apple Vulnerabilities

August 19, 2026
Barcelona Edge Al Ahly 2-1 to Win Joan Gamper Trophy

Barcelona Edge Al Ahly 2-1 to Win Joan Gamper Trophy

August 19, 2026
Southampton, West Ham Push to Sign Imran Louza

Southampton, West Ham Push to Sign Imran Louza

August 19, 2026
On August 15, more than 150 people rallied outside the Haute-Saône prefecture in Vesoul to oppose Nisrine Driouich’s deportation.

France Suspends Deportation of Moroccan Mother of Six in Vesoul Pending Appeal

August 19, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?