Morocco World News
Taroudant- Feb 07, 2013
Kaab Lghzal (gazelle ankle) is an authentic Moroccan almond-based cookie that took their name from their crescent shape. In addition to its irresistible sweet taste, Kaab Lghzal has a fancy and glossy crescent shape. They are prepared by enclosing almond paste in pastry dough, molding the cookies into their known shape, and then backed enough to keep their light golden color. Traditionally, they are served in tea times and in every ceremony or special events. This recipe will take you in easy steps to prepare your own Kaab Lghzal at home and serve them to with Moroccan tea your special guests.
Ingredients for almonds paste:
250g granulated sugar.
60g butter, melted.
¼ cup orange flower water.
½ tsp Arabic gum ( optional).
½ tsp cinnamon.
80g butter, melted.
½ cup orange flower water.
A pinch of salt.
½ cup warm water.
Way of preparation:
For almonds paste:
- Boil almonds for 1 to 2 minutes, drain them and peel them.
- In a food processor, put peeled almonds, sugar, Arabic gum and cinnamon and ground all well.
- Add butter and orange flower water then process again until you get a smooth paste.
- Make small rods in the size of small finger from the paste and keep them aside.
For the pastry:
- In a bowel mix flour, melted butter, salt, sugar and orange flower water to form soft dough and knead well until getting cohesive and smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into 5 or 6 balls and cover them with a plastic and let them rest for half an hour.
- Take a ball and fatten it with a roll pin on a work surface dusted with flour until it is in shape of long strip15 cm wide.
- In the center of a strip, put one of the small rods of almond paste horizontally, leaving 5 cm space between each piece.
- Fold the strip so that it covers the rods of almonds.
- Pinch the ends firmly closed, and gently shape the roll into a crescent then cut with a knife on a 1/2 cm of almonds.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and paste until they are done.
- Let Kaab Lghezal to rest at least for an hour before baking.
- Prick 3 holes on the top of each cookie then bake them for 10 minutes.
- Their color should be very light golden not brown.
Cool them before keeping them in a container.
©Morocco World News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed