Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » Africa » Algeria News » AU President Remains Silent on Algeria’s Deportation of Sub-Saharan Migrants

AU President Remains Silent on Algeria’s Deportation of Sub-Saharan Migrants

ghita-benslimanebyghita-benslimane
Dec, 18, 2016
0 0
A A
Former Head of AU Criticizes US for ‘Taking Africans as Slaves, but not Refugees’

Former Head of AU Criticizes US for ‘Taking Africans as Slaves, but not Refugees’

Casablanca — In a somewhat controversial move, President of the African Union Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma has remained silent on the issue of Algeria’s deportation of hundreds of sub-Saharan migrants and refugees — could this indicate an implicit alliance with Algeria?

Various media across the continent (namely in Morocco, Mali, the Ivory Coast), have picked up on Dlamini-Zuma’s silence on the mistreatment and mass deportations of sub-Saharan migrants and refugees out of Algeria, labelling the utter lack of reaction as indication of an implicit alliance between Dlamini-Zuma and Algeria. 

Assabah’s weekend edition, for one, says, “The silence denotes a blatant compromise with Algiers on the part of Dlamini-Zuma, who preferred to turn a blind eye to condemnations expressed either officially or by international human rights NGOS.”

Regardless of the idea of a somewhat unethical rapport between the AU leader and the union member country that is Algeria, it remains quite odd that Dlamini-Zuma has not felt compelled to denounce or even discuss, at the very least, the mistreatment of sub-Saharan migrants and refugees in Algeria, even while the injustice currently being carried out is undeniable. 

Last week, an investigation carried out by RFI revealed that deportees being transported out of Algeria and to Niger by way of Tamanrasset had been fed poorly and held in deplorable conditions. 

“The police won’t let us outside. If we go out, they beat us. They’re treating us like dogs,” one migrant told RFI over the phone. 

On December 9, the Human Rights Watch (HRW) issued a report saying that “Algerian authorities since December 1, 2016, have rounded up more than 1,400 sub-Saharan migrants and reportedly deported at least several hundred across the border into Niger.”

The HRW report went on to demand the halting of deportations in accordance with the 1951 Refugee Convention and the International Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of their Families, both of which Algeria is party to. No word, however, has yet to be given on whether or not Algerian officials intend on discontinuing the deportations in response to these demands.

Tags: Algeria’s Deportation of Sub-Saharan MigrantsDlamini-Zuma’s silence on the deportations of sub-Saharan migrantsmistreatment of sub-Saharan migrants in Algeriasub-Saharan migrantssub-Saharan migrants in algeria
TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

5.9-Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Eastern Japan, Injuring 37

5.9-Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Eastern Japan, Injuring 37

August 23, 2026
Spain Emphasizes Morocco’s Cooperation as Key to Managing Ceuta Migration Crisis

Spain Emphasizes Morocco’s Cooperation as Key to Managing Ceuta Migration Crisis

August 23, 2026
Morocco Ranks 76th Globally in 2026 Legatum Prosperity Index

Morocco Ranks 76th Globally in 2026 Legatum Prosperity Index

August 23, 2026
Spain Identifies 2,500 Migrant Minors in Ceuta

Spain Identifies 2,500 Migrant Minors in Ceuta

August 23, 2026
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has opened a bidding process for the broadcast rights to the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations, known as “Pamoja 2027.”

CAF Opens Bidding for AFCON 2027 Broadcast Rights

August 22, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?