Home Morocco Boycott: Famous Moroccan Singer Latifa Raafat Dismisses El Othmani’s Apology

Boycott: Famous Moroccan Singer Latifa Raafat Dismisses El Othmani’s Apology

Rabat – Moroccan citizens supporting the boycott, including celebrities,  believe that the apology offered by Head of Government Saad Eddine El Othmani was too little too late after other ministers’ harsh comments against the boycott.

Renowned Moroccan singer Latifa Raâfat was the first celebrity to comment on El Othmani’s apology message addressed in a Parliament meeting Tuesday in Rabat.

After publicly supporting the campaign in the early days of the boycott, Raâfat took to her Facebook again to say that the apology came only days after a few statements that hurt consumers’ feelings.

Raâfat wrote: “My respect to you, Mr. El Othmani,  a few days ago you described and called us all kinds of insulting things.” She said the head of government “called us inconsequential.  How can you apologize and call on inconsequential people to turn the page. Are you talking to ghosts?”

On Tuesday El Othmani apologized to people supporting the boycott, for the “verbal expressions and offenses” made against boycotters by several ministers.

The head of government had previously refused to comment on the boycott, saying he would not respond to “inconsequential people.”

“Your excellency,  the acknowledgment of a mistake is a virtue. I assure you that [Moroccan] people are very peaceful and carried out their boycott in a very peaceful and civilized way,” Raâfat said.

Raâfat emphasized that it is time for the government to increase its efforts and satisfy the needs of citizens “through decrease of commodity prices, because Moroccan people are free and will not give up on things that you have promised people during your election campaign.”

The Moroccan diva concluded her statement with the widely circulated hashtag #boycotting.

“El Othmani ‘apologizes’  to boycotters and calls people to turn the page because Ramadan is coming without responding to the demand of citizens and decreasing prices. Your apology is not accepted,” another Moroccan boycotter wrote on Twitter.

“Doctor El Othmani’s apology is not accepted,” said another.

The boycott, which started on April 20, is targeting three companies: Sidi Ali, Afriquia gas and Centrale Danone.

SHARE
Previous articlePolice Commissioner Suspected of Fraud Arrested in Rabat
Next articleSouthern Provinces’ Development Projects Will Be 70% Complete by December