Lekjaa confirmed the news Tuesday, July 24, at a Maghreb Arab Press (MAP) forum held in Rabat.
Renard had tried to shut down the rumors about his possible exit from the Moroccan team earlier this month through an Instagram post.
“Some people talk about my future in the media to sow trouble in the Moroccan spirit and if it’s still a little too early to know what will be done, one thing is certain: Out of respect for Morocco and all Moroccans I will not leave in any way for another African nation regardless of it. Those who claim so are wrong,” wrote Renard.
However, Renard had kept a door open for speculation that he would leave for a non-African team this time.
Renard, a French national, has been coach of the Moroccan team since 2016. Previously, he coached Côte d’Ivoire (2014-2015) and Zambia (2011-2013), with whom he won the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations.
At the forum, Lekjaa also discussed the possibility of bidding jointly to host the 2030 World Cup with neighboring countries. He said Morocco has not yet studied this possibility. Both Tunisia and Algeria have said they would consider a joint Maghreb bid.
Lekjaa also announced that FIFA President Gianni Infantino has been invited to take part in Morocco’s Throne Day celebrations, on July 30.
The outcome of Morocco’s participation in the Russia 2018 World Cup was also a topic in the forum. Most prominent in the discussion was the “unjust” refereeing in the competition.
Lekjaa heavily criticized video assistant referee (VAR) and the fact it was not used during Morocco’s World Cup games.
However, Lekjaa thought Morocco’s participation in the World Cup should give them a push to do better in upcoming competitions, including the African Cup of Nations (CAN 2019).
“We want a competitive national team and Hervé Renard will continue his mission,” he said.