The decision comes after the “contractual teachers” returned to work following nearly two months of protests and strikes.
Rabat – Morocco’s Minister of Education, Said Amzazi, has announced his ministry’s decision to suspend all the administrative measures taken against contractual teachers, who have been in a national strike since February.
The decision comes from several meetings held on April 13, after the contractual teachers returned to work after nearly two months of protests and strikes.
The minister also then announced a decision to resume dialogue to find concrete solutions for the status of the teachers, who have been protesting working conditions.
At the same time, the minister elaborated that “this commitment has been respected on both sides. All these measures have been suspended, salaries paid, and most important is the continuation of dialogue” with the teachers.
Afterward, the contractual teachers announced Sunday, April 28 that they will come back to schools on the following Monday to serve the interest of students and to avoid a “blank year.”
In a statement in late April, however, the ministry said that the striking teachers “breached the obligations” they agreed to in the April 13 meeting of returning to work on Monday, April 15.
Since then, the teachers have been calling on the government to integrate them into the public sector in order to benefit from equal rights as the other permanent teachers.
In addition, the teachers also have been requesting the abolishment of fixed-term contracts, demanding the end of “discrimination” between contractual teachers and public sector teachers.