The ballistic rockets which were intercepted over Taif had been fired by Yemeni Houthi rebels. The missiles were set to strike Islam's holiest city, Mecca, and Jeddah, a port city on the Red Sea
Rabat – Arab media announced that one of the rockets was aimed toward Mecca and the other for Jeddah. Saudi Arabia intercepted the Houthi ballistic rockets fired by Yemen over Taif on Monday, as stated by Saudi news outlet Al Arabiya.
A week ago, Saudi Arabia announced that the Houthi had released drones which struck two Saudi oil siphoning stations. Referring to a source from Haaretz website, Yemen’s Houthi-controlled SABA news office said on Sunday that the attack on the oil stations was the start of military campaign targeting 300 crucial bases.
Different targets included a military base camp and offices in the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia as well as bases in Yemen, SABA cited the source as saying.
Saudi Arabia’s Defense Minister blamed Iran for ordering the assault on the Saudi oil siphoning stations which was carried out by Yemen’s Houthi rebel army.
A week ago, a state-run Saudi paper called for “surgical” U.S. strikes to counter threats from Iran.
The Arab News distributed an article in English, suggesting that following the attacks this week, the Saudi coalition will be moving forward with “surgical strikes.”
Response to Saudi Arabia’s calls
Following the drone attacks, King Salman of Saudi Arabia invited leaders to a meeting of the Arab League to discuss “aggressions and their consequences.” The meetings will take place on May 30.
Bahrain, Djibouti, and UAE have responded to the invitation.
The announcement comes after Saudi Arabia accused Iran of ordering the assaults against the two Saudi oil siphoning stations at Yanbu, on the west coast of Saudi Arabia.
The stations were hit by drones loaded down with explosives on May 14.
The terrorist acts, ordered by the regime in Tehran, and carried out by the Houthis, are tightening the noose around the ongoing political efforts,” said King Salman’s son Prince Khalid bin Salman.
While the assault was carried out by the Houthis, Saudi Arabia maintains that the order came for Iran.
“We are not agents for anyone,” Head of the Houthis’ Supreme Revolutionary Committee, Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, told Reuters.
He added: “We make decisions independently and do not take orders for drones or anything else.”
Saudi Arabia wishes to avoid a war with Iran, however, have stated that they will take the necessary military action if provoked.