China and Russia have both expressed concerns over escalating tensions between the US and Iran.
Rabat – Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi released a statement on Tuesday, June 18, in response to the US deployment of 1,000 troops to the Middle East. The United States is “pumping up tensions” in the Middle East, said Wang.
“We call on all parties to remain rational and restrained, not to take any actions to provoke the escalation of tension in the region, and not to open a Pandora’s box,” Wangtold reporters in Beijing.
“In particular, the United States should change its practice of extreme pressure,” Wang added. Meanwhile, China and Iran have close energy ties, with Beijing opposing the US threats against countries importing Iranian oil.
Fears of an upcoming confrontation between Iran and the US arose since last week after the alleged Iranian attacks on two oil tankers near the Strait of Hormuz. Washington and Tehran traded accusations over the incident.
In reality, Iran and the US are trapped in a turbulent standoff after US President Donald Trump withdrew from an international accord that constrained Tehran’s nuclear program last year.
“Now what we see are unending and sustained US attempts to crank up political, psychological, economic and, yes, military pressure on Iran in quite a provocative way. They [the actions] cannot be assessed as anything but a conscious course to provoke war,” said Sergey Ryabkov, Russia’s Deputy Foreign Minister.
In the meantime, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said: “Iran will not wage war against any nation,” while former director of NATO, David Desroches, called the deployment a “small measure” that is “designed to send a message,” not enough for an invasion or a war.
China and Russia have both expressed serious concerns over the complex situation in the Middle East, stressing US administration’s reckless building up of tensions in an already explosive region.