Rabat – Iran-aligned Yemeni Houthi rebels attacked a power station in Saudi Arabia’s southern province of Jizan with a cruise missile on Wednesday, June 19. The attack, which was reported by the group’s Al-Masirah TV has, further fueled the bitter standoff between Iran and the United States.
On Thursday, June 20, the Saudi-United Arab Emirates (UAE) led military coalition in Yemen confirmed that rebel Houthi forces had launched a projectile into a desalination plant in Al Shuqaiq but reported no fatalities or damage to the facility.
“The conflict is escalating… and, according to the Houthis’ military spokesperson, the coming days will witness more surprises for Saudi Arabia, especially via reprisal attacks by cruise missiles and drone operations,” said Al Jazeera’s Mohammed al-Attab, hinting that there is “no end in sight” for the ongoing conflict.
The Houthis have been at war with the Saudi-UAE led military coalition in Yemen since 2015, when the coalition launched a massive air campaign. The campaign was aimed at reinstalling the internationally acknowledged government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, who was overthrown by the Houthis.
The group has stepped up missile and drone attacks on Saudi Arabia in recent weeks as tensions continue to increase between Iran and the United States, with the Houthis seen as allies of Iran and the US siding with Saudi Arabia.
Pentagon spokeswoman, Navy Commander Rebecca Rebarich said such attacks were “a significant cause for concern and [put] innocent lives at risk”.
According to the Saudi Press Agency SPA, coalition officials said Saudi security forces were working to determine what type of projectile had been used.
“We are closely monitoring the situation and continuing to consult with our partners and allies,” said Sarah Sanders, White House spokeswoman, amid mounting fears that a military confrontation could erupt between Tehran and Washington.







