Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » Health » France Confirms First Ebola Case Linked to Congo Outbreak

France Confirms First Ebola Case Linked to Congo Outbreak

The case comes as Central Africa faces one of the fastest-growing Ebola outbreaks in recent years.

Sara ZouitenbySara Zouiten
Jun, 24, 2026
0 0
A A
Ebola outbreak.

Ebola outbreak.

Rabat – France has confirmed its first Ebola case linked to the ongoing outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

According to the French Health Ministry, the patient is a doctor who recently returned from a humanitarian mission in Congo. The doctor tested positive for Ebola after arriving in France and has been placed in isolation. Health authorities have also begun tracing people who may have come into contact with the patient.

The ministry said the risk to the general public in France and the rest of Europe remains low. Officials said that strict measures are in place to prevent the virus from spreading.

The case comes as Central Africa faces one of the fastest-growing Ebola outbreaks in recent years.

The current outbreak was officially declared in the Democratic Republic of Congo in May 2026. Since then, more than 1,000 confirmed cases and 267 deaths have been reported, making it the largest Ebola outbreak ever recorded during its first month.

The outbreak is centered in eastern Congo, particularly in Ituri Province, but cases have also been reported in North Kivu and South Kivu. Health officials say the disease has spread quickly because some of the first infections occurred in urban areas rather than isolated villages, which allowed the virus to reach more people.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that the outbreak continues to expand, with sustained transmission and increasing numbers of cases. As of mid-June, Congo had reported 896 confirmed cases and 232 deaths, while neighboring Uganda had recorded 19 confirmed cases and two deaths linked to cross-border transmission.

Health workers are battling the outbreak in a difficult environment due to conflict, displacement, and insecurity. Several affected areas have large populations of internally displaced people, which makes it harder to trace contacts and contain the disease.

The outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, a less common form of the virus. Unlike the Zaire strain, for which approved vaccines exist, there is currently no licensed vaccine specifically available for the Bundibugyo strain. Researchers and international health agencies are working to test promising treatments and vaccine candidates.

International partners have supplied experimental treatments to support clinical trials in Congo, while the WHO and African health authorities continue to strengthen surveillance, testing, contact tracing, and community awareness efforts.

Ebola is a severe viral disease that spreads through direct contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person or contaminated materials. Symptoms often include fever, fatigue, headache, muscle pain, vomiting, diarrhea, and in some cases internal and external bleeding.

Ebola can be deadly without proper medical care. However, early detection, isolation, supportive treatment, and strong public health measures can significantly improve survival rates and help stop transmission.

Tags: EbolaEbola outbreakFrance
TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

Morocco’s Abdellah Ouazane Scores First Ajax Goal in Heerenveen Draw

Morocco’s Abdellah Ouazane Scores First Ajax Goal in Heerenveen Draw

August 17, 2026
Souhaila Ettahiri: Morocco-Rooted Agent Married to Roberto Carlos

Souhaila Ettahiri: Morocco-Rooted Agent Married to Roberto Carlos

August 17, 2026
Rights Group FairSquare Calls for Block on Infantino’s FIFA Re-Election Bid

Rights Group FairSquare Calls for Block on Infantino’s FIFA Re-Election Bid

August 17, 2026
Hakimi Criticizes Venue Setup After PSG’s Super Cup Loss

Hakimi Criticizes Venue Setup After PSG’s Super Cup Loss

August 17, 2026
Operation Marhaba 2026 has carried more than 2.1 million passengers through Andalusia during its first two months,

Operation Marhaba Sees 2.17 Million Passengers Cross to Morocco

August 17, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?