Rabat – The number of migrant minors registered in Ceuta has risen to 2,168 following the mass arrival of migrants in the Spanish-occupied enclave in late July, according to the latest figures from Spain’s National Police.
The figure is 270 higher than the previous count. However, authorities said that it is not final, as efforts are still underway to locate and identify minors who remain unregistered.
The identification process has been one of the main challenges facing authorities since the influx. Long lines of children and young people have been seen waiting daily to be registered by security forces before being placed under the care of the Ceuta government, El Espanol reported.
During his visit to Ceuta last Thursday, Spanish Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska said it is important to register minors. He called on the Government Delegation, National Police, and Civil Guard to continue efforts to identify those remaining in the city.
Authorities are considering several options for the minors, including their return to their countries of origin or their transfer to mainland Spain, where they could be received by other autonomous communities.
Morocco has repeatedly called on Spain to return Moroccan unaccompanied minors who remained in Ceuta following the July mass crossing. Rabat has said the minors should be reunited with their families in Morocco and urged Spanish authorities to speed up the legal and administrative procedures needed for their return.
€25 Million for minors’ care
Ceuta was already facing pressure on its reception system before the recent migration crisis, with local authorities saying its capacity had been exceeded, added the report.
Spain’s Ministry of Youth and Children, led by Sira Rego, requested additional spaces to accommodate the minors. Ceuta responded by providing two schools to help separate boys and girls.
The ministry has also called the autonomous communities to a sectoral conference on August 27 to discuss the relocation of minors from Ceuta.
The Spanish government is expected to vote on a €25 million ($29.2 million) transfer to the Ceuta government to support the accommodation and care of the minors.
Several regional governments led by the conservative People’s Party (PP) have opposed the distribution system. Aragón, Extremadura, and Castilla y León, where the PP governs with the far-right Vox party, have refused to attend the meeting.
Many other regional governments have also said their existing reception systems are already under pressure.








