Rabat – With the summer holidays nearing their end, thousands of Moroccans residing abroad (MREs) are beginning the journey back to their countries of residence, bringing a new rush to Morocco’s northern ports.
At the Tangier Mediterranean rest area, near the southern entrance to the motorway to Tangier, the Mohammed V Foundation for Solidarity has expanded its support for travelers ahead of the busiest period of the return phase of Operation Marhaba 2026.
The facility serves as more than a stop for travelers who need a break after a long drive. For many MREs, particularly those traveling by coach, it has become the first step in the departure process before they reach Tangier Med port.
Passengers can confirm ferry schedules, complete ticket-related procedures, and register with their maritime companies at the rest area. The arrangement allows travelers to settle key details before reaching the port and helps authorities manage the flow of passengers and vehicles more efficiently.
The system is particularly relevant to the Tangier Med-Algeciras route, one of the main maritime links between Morocco and southern Spain.
Sanaa Dardikh, director of communications at the Mohammed V Foundation for Solidarity, told Morocco’s state news agency MAP that Operation Marhaba has now entered its return phase, with large numbers of MREs set to leave Morocco in the coming days.
She said the Foundation has introduced additional measures with its partners to cope with the expected rise in traffic, with particular attention to departures from Tangier Med.
The rest area provides an early support point for passengers before they reach the port, with maritime companies and Tangier Med Port Authority staff available to handle ticket procedures, confirm departure dates and times, and register travelers.
The approach also helps organize passenger flows according to ferry schedules and limits pressure on the port during peak periods.
Foundation boosts support for MRE return rush
The Foundation has called on MREs to plan their return trips ahead of time, especially those who will travel from Tangier Med to Algeciras. Travelers can contact ferry operators at their counters inside the rest area or through their official websites before heading to the port.
The appeal comes as Morocco prepares for a particularly busy final week of August. The Foundation has strengthened its teams at major border crossing points and is advising travelers to avoid peak hours and confirm their ferry reservations before setting out.
Omar Moussa Abdellah, a project manager at the Foundation, said the special passenger support system at Tangier Med has operated since August 19 and will remain in place until September 6. It has already assisted around 16,000 passengers, he said.
The Tangier Mediterranean rest area also offers medical and social support for travelers. Its facilities include a social assistance unit, medical examination and treatment rooms, a pharmacy, rest areas, restaurants, and prayer spaces.
Across Operation Marhaba 2026, the Mohammed V Foundation has deployed 1,134 social workers, 105 doctors, and 111 nurses at various sites and border crossing points.
Since the operation began on June 10, Foundation teams have provided 48,522 assistance services to MREs. These have included medical, social, legal, and administrative support, as well as information and guidance.
The scale of this year’s operation has also grown. By August 21, Morocco had recorded the arrival of 3,507,380 MREs, up 1.1% from the same period last year. Maritime crossings accounted for 51.31% of arrivals, while 48.69% arrived by air.
As the summer season draws to a close, the focus of Operation Marhaba has shifted from welcoming MREs back to Morocco to helping them make the return journey as smoothly as possible. The measures at Tangier Med form part of a broader effort to ease the annual movement of millions of Moroccan nationals between Morocco and their countries of residence.








