Rabat – The Moroccan and Spanish Ministers of Interior, Abdelouafi Laftit and Juan Ignacio Zoido, are scheduled to meet on Tuesday in Rabat in order to discuss and exchange information on the Barcelona terror attacks, according to Spanish press agency EFE.
The meeting will aim to discuss the results of investigations so far into the Barcelona terrorist attacks, according to a press release issued by the Spanish Interior Ministry.
Zoido said that “the meeting aims to discuss measures intended to fight against terrorism, organized crimes and human trafficking.”
“Tuesday’s visit confirms the exceptional security relationship between the two countries,” he added.
The statement noted that this will be Zoido’s third visit to Morocco, which was the first
country he visited after he took office in November 2016.
Since June 2015, Morocco and Spain have carried out several joint counter-terrorism
operations, which have led to the arrest of more than 175 suspects, added the Spanish ministry.
Following the Barcelona terror incidents, which saw 15 people killed in an operation that was planned and conducted by a group of Moroccans, King Mohammed VI asked the Moroccan government to strengthen the already-strong security cooperation between Morocco and Spain.
Morocco arrested three people linked to the attacks, which took place in Barcelona and
Cambrils. Two of them have been released and the third is still in custody, Abdelhak Khiam, Head of the Central Bureau of Judicial Investigation (BCIJ) told EFE on Saturday.
ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack.