Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » Culture » Kanye West Causes Uproar Saying Slavery Was a ‘Choice’

Kanye West Causes Uproar Saying Slavery Was a ‘Choice’

zoubida-senoussibyzoubida-senoussi
May, 02, 2018
0 0
A A
Kanye West Causes Uproar Saying Slavery Was a ‘Choice’

Kanye West Causes Uproar Saying Slavery Was a ‘Choice’

Rabat – Kanye West can’t seem to hold his tongue.

After declaring his love and support for Donald Trump, West is under fire once again for controversial comments suggesting slavery was a “choice.”

The American rapper–who recently lost 9 million Twitter followers after his pro-Trump tweets–continued to praise Trump during an interview with the American tabloid TMZ.

Kanye with the worst take yet

“You hear about slavery for 400 years. 400 years?! That sounds like a choice.” pic.twitter.com/jJwtByDuyH

— Alazar Moges (@zarzarbinkss) May 1, 2018

“When you hear about slavery for 400 years. For 400 years? That sounds like a choice!” Trump’s new BFF said.

“Like, you was there for 400 years, and it’s all y’all? You know, it’s like, we’re mentally in prison. I like the word prison because slavery goes too direct to the idea of blacks,” he continued.

West didn’t stop there; he continued to make his point, saying that prison is something that “unites [people] as one race.”

Following his comments, Kim Kardashian’s husband was completely shut down by writer and TMZ’s podcaster Van Lathan, who gave West a history lesson.

“I just don’t think you are thinking anything. I think what you are doing right now is an afterthought…And while you are making music and being an artist, the rest of us in society have to deal with the marginalization that has come from the 400 years of slavery that you said for our people was a choice,” he said.

Lathan was very hurt and disappointed by West who has “morphed into something that is not real.”

“I will combat your free thought with my free thought, because mine is grounded in the reality that I have been given and the reality that I am going to change, but I am not going to do it by pretending that the enemies are on the same team as me,” concluded the writer.

West later tweeted that his comments on Tuesday had been misinterpreted. “To make myself clear, of course I know that slaves did not get shackled and put on a boat by free will,” he wrote.

Alas, it was too late for the 40-year-old singer to explain himself: the hashtag #IfSlaveryWasAChoice has taken Twitter by storm, as the Black community ironically responds to “Yeezy” with memes mocking his statements.

The winner of multiple Grammy Awards returned to social media two weeks ago, after a year-long silence on Twitter, following his hospitalization in a Los Angeles psychiatric facility in November 2016.

In his Twitter comeback, the artists has been rapid-fire posting up to 20  messages per hour, on subjects ranging from politics to philosophy and fashion.

 

Tags: controversyDonald TrumpKanye Westslaverytwitter
TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

King Mohammed VI issued a fresh royal pardon on the Youth Day, this time covering 667 people condemned by various courts across the North African kingdom.

Youth Day: King Mohammed VI Grants Royal Pardon to 667 People

August 20, 2026
Morocco to Host 10 African Teams During September Break

Morocco to Host 10 African Teams During September Break

August 20, 2026
Spanish soldiers with migrants in Ceuta. [File: Fabian Bimmer/Reuters]

Spain Confirms 24 Scabies Cases Among Soldiers in Ceuta, Denies Migrant Link

August 20, 2026
FIFA Announces Schedule for 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil

FIFA Announces Schedule for 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil

August 20, 2026
Across four long, unsparing interviews granted to journalist Abdou Semmar, Bennacer has shattered the omertà.

A General’s Son Breaks the Omertà and Exposes the Rot Devouring Algeria’s Military Junta

August 20, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?