Rabat - Amine Harit has reached an agreement. The prosecutor at the Court of First Instance in Marrakech has decided to grant the Moroccan international football player a temporary release, returning his passport and allowing him to leave Morocco.
Rabat – Amine Harit has reached an agreement. The prosecutor at the Court of First Instance in Marrakech has decided to grant the Moroccan international football player a temporary release, returning his passport and allowing him to leave Morocco.
The Atlas Lion was involved in a road accident that led to the death of a pedestrian in Marrakech. The accident occurred while the player was driving with his 14-year-old brother on Saturday, June 30, shortly after midnight.
On Tuesday, the Schalke 04 sports director, Christian Heidel, announced the release of his player, shortly after landing in China with the rest of the team. Heidel said that Amine Harit got his passport and driver’s license back.
“Amine has had his appointment today with the police and the prosecutors, everything happened very quickly, he was auditioned again, the police submitted the report, Amine got his passport and his license back,” said Heidel.
The sports director also claimed that the player “does not need to appear,” as his defense must only sign official documents concerning the settlement with the family of the victim. The procedure suggests that the footballer came to an amicable arrangement with the family of the victim.
“He will stay with the family a few more days, we also prefer him, because he would probably be alone in Germany, he will come to Gelsenkirchen at the appropriate time,” added Harit’s boss.
The Schalke 04 attacking midfielder was supposed to be presented to a prosecutor in Marrakech on Monday “in a state of freedom and with his passport withdrawn.” The hearing was postponed to July 11, to “allow for negotiations with the victim’s parents with a view to amicable settlement,” explained a close source to the case to AFP.
Responding to the tragedy, the father of the victim called on authorities to take the necessary measures to hold the footballer responsible if found guilty. Investigations are ongoing in order to determine the circumstances of the incident.
Schalke 04 expressed worries over the Moroccan player, expressing solidarity and support for Harit. Earlier this week, Heidel said that he is “very worried” about the 21-year-old footballer, emphasizing that the whole team is behind him.