Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » Politics » Tunisia Arrests Opposition Leader Ahmed Nejib Chebbi After Appeal Ruling

Tunisia Arrests Opposition Leader Ahmed Nejib Chebbi After Appeal Ruling

Human rights groups and opposition figures reacted with strong condemnation, warning that the arrest shows a deepening crackdown on freedoms and peaceful dissent in Tunisia.

Sara ZouitenbySara Zouiten
Dec, 05, 2025
0 0
A A
Ahmed Nejib Chebbi, one of Tunisia’s most well-known opposition figures

Ahmed Nejib Chebbi, one of Tunisia’s most well-known opposition figures

Rabat – Ahmed Nejib Chebbi, one of Tunisia’s most well-known opposition figures, was arrested on Thursday at his home. The arrest came a week after an appeals court sentenced the 81-year-old politician to 12 years in prison. 

Amnesty International has denounced the move as part of a broader “blind repression” campaign by the Tunisian authorities.

Chebbi has been active in Tunisian politics for decades. A long-time left-wing opposition leader, he ran for president in the past and later helped create and lead the National Salvation Front (FSN), the main opposition coalition in the country. 

After the 2011 revolution that ousted Zine El-Abidine Ben Ali, he briefly served as a government minister and later sat in the Constituent Assembly during Tunisia’s democratic transition.

His daughter, lawyer Haïfa Chebbi, confirmed to AFP that her father had been taken to Mornaguia prison, near Tunis. She said their house had been monitored for days by police cars and plain-clothes officers. 

In a video recorded shortly before his arrest, Chebbi said he was going to prison “with a clear and pure conscience” because he had “committed no wrongdoing.” According to his daughter, he has “no hope” in Tunisia’s justice system but believes that President Kais Saied’s crackdown has helped unite the opposition.

Read also: Tunisia Erupts in Mass Protests Against President Kais Saied

Chebbi was tried alongside around 40 other opponents in a major case involving accusations of “plotting against state security” and “belonging to a terrorist group.” His initial sentence of 18 years was reduced to 12 in appeal. His arrest follows those of two other opposition figures, lawyer Ayachi Hammami and activist Chaïma Issa, who received five-year and twenty-year sentences in the same case.

Human rights organizations have strongly criticized the Tunisian government. Sara Hashash, deputy regional director at Amnesty International, said the arrests show the authorities’ “terrifying determination to silence peaceful opposition.” Ahmed Benchemsi of Human Rights Watch stated that Tunisia’s brief democratic hope “has officially closed,” adding that almost the entire political opposition is now either imprisoned or in exile, fifteen years after the 2011 revolution.

Since President Saied’s 2021 power grab, when he dismissed the government and took full control, Tunisian and international NGOs have warned of serious declines in rights and freedoms. Dozens of critics, including politicians, journalists, lawyers, and aid workers, have been detained under charges of conspiracy or spreading false information.

Tags: nejib chebbiTunisia
TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

Pep Guardiola’s extraordinary dedication to Manchester City came under the spotlight after a new Amazon Prime documentary revealed previously unseen moments from behind the scenes at the English club.

Guardiola’s Emotional Manchester City Outburst: “I Gave My Life for You, What Did You Give Me?”

August 19, 2026
Morocco’s CDG Capital Warns of Fraudulent Investment Ads Using Its Identity

Morocco’s CDG Capital Warns of Fraudulent Investment Ads Using Its Identity

August 18, 2026
Morocco’s Adam Baallal Signs First Professional Contract with AS Saint-Étienne

Morocco’s Adam Baallal Signs First Professional Contract with AS Saint-Étienne

August 18, 2026
WHO, UNICEF Report Finds Major WASH Gaps in Morocco’s Health Facilities

WHO, UNICEF Report Finds Major WASH Gaps in Morocco’s Health Facilities

August 18, 2026
Lazio Eye Move for Morocco’s Begraoui, Estoril Demands €12M

Lazio Eye Move for Morocco’s Begraoui, Estoril Demands €12M

August 18, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?