Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » Africa » Deadly Gold Mine Collapse Claims More Than 100 Lives in Central African Republic

Deadly Gold Mine Collapse Claims More Than 100 Lives in Central African Republic

A deadly mine collapse in the western Central African Republic has claimed more than 100 lives, with the death toll expected to rise as rescue operations continue.

Hanane AfeznaouibyHanane Afeznaoui
Aug, 20, 2026
0 0
A A
Deadly Gold Mine Collapse Claims More Than 100 Lives in Central African Republic

Gold Mine

Agadir – More than 100 people have died after an artisanal gold mine collapsed in western Central African Republic (CAR), local officials and aid workers said Wednesday, as rescue teams continued efforts to recover victims and search for survivors.

The collapse occurred Tuesday afternoon in the village of Zamboye, about 50 kilometers from Baboua and near the border with Cameroon. Local reports said a landslide buried miners working at the site.

Gervais Ganagoroh, a Red Cross volunteer involved in the relief efforts, told the Associated Press that more than 100 bodies had been recovered from the site. A senior official at a local mining association also confirmed the toll to Reuters.

A local public prosecutor said several people remained trapped beneath the earth following the collapse, without providing an exact number of fatalities.

A second prosecutor in Baboua said the incident was believed to have been caused by the collapse of several underground tunnels where miners were working.

“The ground completely collapsed and buried people,” miner Cedric Mbango told AFP, describing the incident as “catastrophic.”

Rescue teams were working to retrieve bodies and search for possible survivors. The miners are believed to have included nationals of both CAR and Cameroon, with authorities in Cameroon’s Eastern region confirming that at least three of its citizens had been identified among the victims.

Regional Governor Grégoire Mvongo told state-owned radio that he was working closely with Central African authorities to address the aftermath of the tragedy.

“Finding them alive would be a miracle,” he said, adding that the community was “saddened and heartbroken” by the deaths of young people who had gone to the mine in search of income to support their families.

Authorities have launched an investigation into the incident, while the exact number of people present at the mine when it collapsed remains unknown.

Local reports said at least 40 people have died in separate mining incidents in CAR this year alone, highlighting the persistent safety risks facing workers in the country’s artisanal mining sector.

Tags: Central African Republicgold mine collapse
TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

King Mohammed VI issued a fresh royal pardon on the Youth Day, this time covering 667 people condemned by various courts across the North African kingdom.

Youth Day: King Mohammed VI Grants Royal Pardon to 667 People

August 20, 2026
Morocco to Host 10 African Teams During September Break

Morocco to Host 10 African Teams During September Break

August 20, 2026
Spanish soldiers with migrants in Ceuta. [File: Fabian Bimmer/Reuters]

Spain Confirms 24 Scabies Cases Among Soldiers in Ceuta, Denies Migrant Link

August 20, 2026
FIFA Announces Schedule for 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil

FIFA Announces Schedule for 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil

August 20, 2026
Across four long, unsparing interviews granted to journalist Abdou Semmar, Bennacer has shattered the omertà.

A General’s Son Breaks the Omertà and Exposes the Rot Devouring Algeria’s Military Junta

August 20, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?