Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » International » Yemen » “Decaying” Oil Tanker Near Yemeni Port City Threatens Oil Spill

“Decaying” Oil Tanker Near Yemeni Port City Threatens Oil Spill

sonya-chechikbysonya-chechik
Jun, 19, 2019
0 0
A A

Rabat – A deteriorating oil tanker, close to Yemen’s recently demilitarized Hodeidah port, adds stress to an already tense region threatening to spill more than one million barrels of oil into the Red Sea.

“If the tanker ruptures or explodes, we could see the coastline polluted all along the Red Sea,” the Humanitarian Affairs Chief Mark Lowcock told the UN Security Council on Monday.

Lowcock said he is working with Houthi rebel forces to have UN Officials access the tanker, named SAFER, check the situation and find a solution to avoid an environmental disaster.

SAFER was built in 1976 and has been moored north of Hodeidah since 1988 as a Floating Storage and Offloading (FSO) terminal and was used as a point to load exported oil onto vessels.

Following Houthi control of Hodeidah in 2015, SAFER has not been in use, but still holds approximately 1.1 million barrels of oil. SAFER’s structure has been exposed to humidity and corrosion and had little maintenance. It is particularly at risk because of its old age.  

When crude oil sits without being tended to regularly, the oil exposed to air oxidizes – oil molecules break down and combine with air molecules – creating a hot and flammable compound.

Hodeidah remains an area of conflict between Houthi rebel forces and Saudi Arabia-backed military coalition that supports the government of President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi.

The Hodeidah Agreement, part of the larger Stockholm Agreement, came out of peace negotiations in December 2018 and required both parties to remove military forces from the Hodeidah, Salid and Ras Isa ports to allow for greater access for humanitarian aid.

An explosion threatens the longevity of these agreements and complicates the already dire humanitarian crisis; according to a previous reporting by the Atlantic Council. Lowcock reported that fighting in Yemen displaced more than 250,000 people this year and the conflict is getting worse not better.

Read also: Houthi Movement Thanks Morocco for Withdrawing from Saudi-Led Coalition in Yemen

An oil spill would also endanger the surrounding marine environment – depending on currents damage could stretch from Bab el Mandeb to the Suez Canal, and potentially as far as the Strait of Hormuz, Lowcock explained.  

The Regional Organisation for the Conservation of the Environment of the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden (PERSGA), an intergovernmental body dedicated to the conservation of the coastal and marine environments found in the Red Sea, has previously promoted improvements to Yemeni oil spill response systems and the creation of Marine Protected Areas off the Yemeni coast.

Likewise, the Conflict and Environment Observatory has been reporting on and warning of SAFER’s posed threat for the past year.

Tags: conflict in yemenhodeidahhouthis in YemenWar in Yemen
TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

Faris Ben-Lamkadem Becomes First Moroccan to Qualify for ADCC Worlds credit: BJJ Heroes

Faris Ben-Lamkadem Becomes First Moroccan to Qualify for ADCC Worlds

August 17, 2026
Secretary-General of the Justice and Development Party (PJD) Abdelilah Benkirane has called for answers over the circumstances behind the recent mass movement of Moroccans toward Ceuta

Benkirane Says He Sought King’s ‘Clarifications’ Over Ceuta Migration Surge

August 17, 2026
Morocco Among Key Markets for $200 Million African Energy Transition Fund

Morocco Among Key Markets for $200 Million African Energy Transition Fund

August 17, 2026
Morocco Women’s Team Earns $1.56 Million After World Cup Qualification

Morocco Women’s Team Earns $1.56 Million After World Cup Qualification

August 17, 2026
Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe

Real Madrid Forward Kylian Mbappe Faces High Trophy Expectations

August 17, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?