Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » Morocco » 2M Does Not Get Money From Moroccan Electric Bills

2M Does Not Get Money From Moroccan Electric Bills

yahia-hatimbyyahia-hatim
Dec, 23, 2019
0 0
A A

Rabat – Morocco’s Head of Government Saad Eddine El Othmani has denied that a new royalty fee was added to electricity bills to save television channel 2M from bankruptcy. Rumors surrounding the fee appeared recently on social media after many internet users noticed a fee for “supporting the audiovisual” media.

El Othmani made his statement on Sunday, December 22, during a meeting of Justice and Development Party (PJD) members from the Rabat-Sale-Kenitra region. The meeting took place at the party’s headquarters in Rabat.

The head of government said the rumors are “lies.” The fee in question is “old,” existing since 1996, and “80% of Moroccans” do not have to pay it.

دعم الإعلام السمعي البصري ضمن فواتير الكهرباء موجود منذ سنة 1996 وليس جديدا وعلى عكس مايروجه البعض فإن 80 ٪ من الأسر المغربية معفية منه منذ سنوات، ولا توجد أي نية أو نقاش داخل الحكومة لفرض أي رسم جديد .
ولايؤدي رسم 55 درهم إلا من يدخلون الشطر الرابع والخامس في استهلاك الكهرباء.

— رئيس الحكومة -المغرب (@ChefGov_ma) December 22, 2019


People in the poorest three scales of the government’s sliding scale electricity bill structure have not had to pay the fee to support audio-visual media since 2013 when the government exempted them, said El Othmani.

The fee “does not concern 80% of Moroccan families who live in precarity or the middle class. It only [applies to] subscribers who reached the fourth and fifth [sections of the sliding scale]. For them, supporting national audiovisual [companies] with 55 dirhams is nothing,” he continued.

El Othmani also explained that “2M does not benefit from this fee.” In a publicized video of the speech, El Othmani made no mention of what the fee actually supports.

At the end of his speech, El Othmani deplored that “some members” of the PJD “contributed to the spreading of the ‘fake news.’”

Earlier this month, many Moroccans shared photos of their electricity bills on social media, highlighting the “new” royalty fee. The users accused the government of implementing the fee to support 2M and save it from bankruptcy.

مكس إنعاش قطاع السمعي البصري هو في الحقيقة لانقاذ القناة الثانية 2M من الاغلاق باستنزاف جيوب المواطنين حيث يوجد على ذمة…

Posted by Fathallah Souiri on Tuesday, 10 December 2019

بعد حملات الشرسة التي اتفق عليها المواطنين المغاربة عامة بحذف هذه القناة الفاسدة ، و مقاطعة مشاهدة برامجها ، مؤخرا رأينا…

Posted by ‎مول كاكول Moul kagoul‎ on Sunday, 8 December 2019

Rumors about the reason behind the fee began after 2M’s difficult financial situation became public. The channel closed its Tangier office for non-payment of rent and had some of their radio station material seized.

Advertisement revenue, which represents 90% of the channel’s income, has been in a steep decline in recent years, an employee at 2M told news outlet Le360.

Tags: 2M2m and the PJd2M Channel2M financial crisis2M Radio2M TV2M TV Channel
TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

Ceuta Leader Says Police Process Just 25-30 Migration Cases a Day

Ceuta Leader Says Police Process Just 25-30 Migration Cases a Day

August 20, 2026
Badou Zaki Hits Back at Jordanian Journalist Over Moroccan Coaching School

Badou Zaki Hits Back at Jordanian Journalist Over Moroccan Coaching School

August 20, 2026
King Mohammed VI issued a fresh royal pardon on the Youth Day, this time covering 667 people condemned by various courts across the North African kingdom.

Youth Day: King Mohammed VI Grants Royal Pardon to 667 People

August 20, 2026
Morocco to Host 10 African Teams During September Break

Morocco to Host 10 African Teams During September Break

August 20, 2026
Spanish soldiers with migrants in Ceuta. [File: Fabian Bimmer/Reuters]

Spain Confirms 24 Scabies Cases Among Soldiers in Ceuta, Denies Migrant Link

August 20, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?