Read on app Read on app
✕
Prayer Times
  • Morocco
  • Lifestyle
  • Western Sahara
  • Login
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026
No Result
View All Result
Morocco World News

Home » Headlines » Prison Administration Cites ‘Foreign Interference’ in Soulaiman Raissouni’s Hunger Strike

Prison Administration Cites ‘Foreign Interference’ in Soulaiman Raissouni’s Hunger Strike

The administration of the Ain Borja local prison in Casablanca said that detained journalist Soulaiman Raissouni’s hunger strike is due to “foreign parties’ influence.”

Safaa KasraouibySafaa Kasraoui
Mar, 03, 2024
0 0
A A
Prison Administration Cites ‘Foreign Interference’ in Soulaiman Raissouni’s Hunger Strike

Prison Administration Cites ‘Foreign Interference’ in Soulaiman Raissouni’s Hunger Strike

Rabat – The administration of the Ain Borja local prison in Casablanca said that detained journalist Soulaiman Raissouni’s hunger strike is due to “foreign parties’ influence.”

In a statement on Saturday, the local administration denied that the journalist’s hunger strike came as part of his protest to the conditions of his detention.

The statement came amid frequent complaints from Raissouni’s wife Khouloud Mokhtari regarding what she alleges as “consecutive arbitrary treatment” against her husband.

Mokhtari said that Raissouni has been subjected to alleged “arbitrary treatment,” including  “depriving him of his fundamental rights inside the prison, including the tearing of his books, letters, and his novel project.”

In response to the allegations, the local prison administration said that the reasons for the “hunger strike initiated by the individual in question [Raissouni]  relate to the control of his correspondence by the prison administration. However, the control of letters sent and received by detainees is in accordance with the law governing prisons,” the establishment said.

The administration added that it consulted the content of the correspondence sent by the detainee to a foreign party and found that “it contained abusive and defamatory remarks and false information.”

“This letter was consequently seized and submitted to the competent judicial authorities,” the administration added, noting that questioning the motives behind his hunger strike and its timing.

It also said that it questions the “role of certain members of his family who incited him to undertake this act with uncertain consequences regardless of the potential repercussions on his health,” the administration added.

Police arrested the journalist and editor-in-chief of the Akhbar Al Yaoum newspaper last year after a man claimed Raissouni assaulted him in 2018.

Raissouni has been in prison since May 2020 after his alleged victim under the pseudonym Adam Muhammad accused him of “assault.”

 The alleged victim identified himself as a member of the Moroccan LGBT community. In 2022, a court upheld a five-year sentence against the journalist who was initially sentenced in July 2021.

This is not the first time that Raissouni initiated a hunger strike to protest his arrest.

Since Raissouni’s arrest, NGOs and human rights activists have been calling for his immediate release.

Tags: hunger strikeMorocco
TweetShareShareSendShareScan

Recent News

Morocco’s General Directorate of Meteorology (DGM) forecasts relatively hot to hot weather across the Southeast and inland areas of the Saharan provinces on Sunday.

Morocco Braces for Heat, Dusty Winds, and Scattered Storms

August 23, 2026
By 2012, Spanish football was drowning. Six clubs in the top flight were in bankruptcy protection, the league’s clubs owed some 750 million euros in unpaid taxes alone

Gulf Money Didn’t Conquer European Football, It Saved It

August 23, 2026
Raja Club Athletic are continuing to strengthen their squad ahead of the 2026-27 season. The Casablanca club have completed the arrival of six new players during the summer transfer window.

Raja Casablanca Strengthens Squad with Six New Signings

August 23, 2026
Morocco's Operation Marhaba 2026

Marhaba 2026: Tangier Med Steps Up Support for Returning MREs

August 23, 2026
Princess Lalla Meryem Receives Jerusalem Children at Royal Guest Palace in Rabat

Princess Lalla Meryem Receives Jerusalem Children at Royal Guest Palace in Rabat

August 23, 2026

USEFUL LINKS

  • About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Terms Of Use
  • Cookies Policy

TOPICS

  • Mawazine 2025
  • Environment
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • Western Sahara

REGIONS

  • International
  • Maghreb
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Download our App


Download the Morocco World News app on Google Play for Android

Download the Morocco World News app on the Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad

Copyright 2026 Morocco World News. All rights reserved. Morocco World News is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Politics
  • Society
  • Economy
  • Opinion
  • Education
  • Sustainability
  • Tech
  • Sport
  • World Cup 2026

Useful Links

  • Prayer Times

Useful Links:

  • Prayer Times

All Right Reserved © 2026 Morocco World News .

Contact us
Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?