Rabat – FIFA Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour has left the governing body after publicly criticizing President Gianni Infantino’s plan to sell a stake in FIFA’s commercial rights, with FIFA confirming that the working relationship ended on August 17.
“FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA’s Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026,” a FIFA spokesperson said on Monday.
“FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future. No further comment will be made on the matter.”
The BBC reported that Lamour was sacked following his criticism of Infantino’s proposal, while Reuters reported that he had left FIFA. The governing body did not specify the circumstances of his departure, saying only that its working relationship with Lamour had ended.
According to Reuters, Lamour joined the senior leadership group of soccer’s global governing body in November 2024, having previously been part of the inner circle that campaigned for Infantino’s election as FIFA president in 2016.
Lamour had publicly criticized the proposal last month, saying FIFA staff had been “deceived” over the plan and describing it as “the project of one person.”
“Our mission … is to serve football, not to serve the personal interests of a person who, unfortunately, believes he embodies FIFA when he is supposed to be at its service,” Lamour said.
“A president must bring people together, unite them, and inspire them. Today, we are experiencing the opposite.”
Lamour acknowledged he had a duty of loyalty to his employer but also to “certain values” and supporting his colleagues.
FIFA proposal sparks wider backlash
FIFA’s proposed Forward Enterprise (FFE) would create a commercial subsidiary valued at around $20 billion, with plans to raise it to $4.2 billion by selling a minority stake of up to 20% to private investors. FIFA said the initiative was intended to increase funding for football development.
The proposal triggered internal opposition, with senior adviser Carlos Cordeiro resigning after criticizing the plan, while Lamour accused FIFA staff of being “deceived” and called it “the project of one person.” FIFA later withdrew the proposal following the backlash.
The fallout has since extended beyond the commercial plan, adding pressure on Infantino ahead of his bid for a fourth term as FIFA president in 2027.
UEFA, AFC, and CONCACAF have opposed his leadership, while the Scottish FA has also withdrawn its support for his re-election. Infantino, however, continues to retain backing from several football confederations and national associations.








