Rabat – Spanish reports said around 500 migrants returned to El Trampolín beach in the Spanish enclave of Ceuta hours after the evacuation.
Spanish news agency EFE reported earlier today that police evacuated more than 1,200 people of different nationalities, including North African nationals, dispatching them to temporary reception shelters across the enclave.
The migrants are among the tens of thousands of those who crossed to the occupied enclave on July 30 and 31, marking one of the largest irregular migration operations that struck the Moroccan-Spanish borders.
Spain and Morocco agreed on the return of migrants, most of whom were sent back to the North African kingdom.
Thousands remain, including minors.
EFE quoted a young Moroccan who said the migrant came to Ceuta for a “better life and a better job,” claiming that he is “tired of having to work for ‘MAD 100’ per day.”
He said the amount is “not enough for anything,” with the agency citing his return to the woods with another group of young people.
The young man acknowledged the mass crossing was due to a social media campaign, triggering the mass crossing in July.
EFE said he received messages through social media claiming the border at Tarajal had been opened.
Authorities said over 1,700 migrants left the beach today as they were escorted by police to transfer them to temporary reception facilities amid calls and appeals warning against the unsanitary and inappropriate conditions the migrants have been enduring for nearly a month since the crossing.
Amid hopes among the youth to stay in Ceuta or be transferred to the mainland, the EU Commission warned that it is Spain’s duty to offer them protection, but reiterated that they have to return home – including minors.








